Revolutionize Learning. Define Success. Build Community.
What is Coaching Commons?
Coaching Commons is an office dedicated to supporting the academic, career, and co-curricular success of students at MassBay. We provide individualized support focused on college transition, academic skills, and building a sense of belonging.
Make an Appointment
To make an appointment with a coach, please contact us.
Faculty and Staff members can refer a student for coaching services by using the “Refer a Student” link. Additional information about referrals can be found below.
Refer a Student for Coaching Services
Form to Refer a Student →
What services are offered in Coaching Commons?
Students can access the following services in Coaching Commons:
- One-on-one coaching that focuses on individual goals
- Support with college transition and acclimation
- Help managing non-academic challenges
- Guidance setting and achieving goals
- Navigating campus resources
- Class preparation assistance
- Strengths identification & professional growth
Not sure what you need? Come in for walk-in services! Stop by Coaching Commons for a drop-in meeting, or to discuss who might be the best coach for you to meet with.
In addition to general services provided by all coaches, Coaching Commons offers:
- Culturally relevant activities in a culturally inclusive community
- Academic skill-building workshops
- STEM career, internship, and research opportunities
- Assistance with the FAFSA application and verification
- Help navigating Blackboard, Bay Navigator, and MyMAP
Coaching Commons Staff
- Joselina (Josey) Fontes, Young Men & Young Women of Color Coach
- Erika Reyes, College Planning Collaborative Coach
- Brandon Portillo, College Planning Collaborative Coach
- Brenda Egan, STEM Success & Career Coach
- Amy Greif, Academic Success Coach
- Margaret Crowe, Academic Success Coach
Faculty and staff members can refer any student to coaching services after exhausting outreach associated with their role as an instructor, mentor, or advisor to the student. Before making the referral, we request that you communicate to the student that you are making the referral and the reason why.
Why would I refer a student to coaching services?
Faculty & staff members can refer students to coaching services for a number of reasons, including (but not limited to) concerns about:
- Transition into college or preparedness for college
- Acclimation into academic and/or cultural environment
- Academic skill gaps
- Sudden absenteeism
- Navigating college resources
- Failure of multiple exams/quizzes
- Time management and organizational development
- Managing online course expectations
Co-Working Commons/Open Study Space
Coaching Commons offers a co-working space for up to 12 students at a time. Co-working can revolutionize your academic experience by harnessing collective intellect, creativity, and ambition. Students can reserve the space or utilize it on a walk-in basis. Cultural and academic workshops are also held in this space.
To reserve this space, please call or email in advance.